Thursday 12 April 2012

Agent Doherty: The Tactics files - Swansea

File Name: Preparation ‘aitch

Location: White Hart Lane

Date: April 1st

Opposition: Swansea

“Alright geezers, you’re old mate Gaz ‘The Doc’ Doherty, aka the Ginger Pele, aka ‘ledge’...okay no one called me that last one but it doesn’t matter. I’m still ripping it up, this time for the mighty Wycombe Wanderers, but I had a thought about life after my playing career ends in another twelve years and decided that I should help all of you to understand the finer points of tactics at the top end of the modern game.

I’ve exploited all my contacts, used all my knowledge, and thanks to an online course in industrial espionage I found in the ads section of the Sun, got my diploma in spying. Using the carefully honed skills taught to be by my master, David Pleat, and the sunglasses and hat that came with the course, here is what I found...

As we all know, Spurs had been on a blip recently, but performances and more importantly results have picked up, and my sources tell me that it all started in the aftermath of the Stoke game a couple of weeks back. I’ve been sent pictures of Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan pulling out a chalk board from the back of the equipment cupboard, and men lining up in the penalty area, with one man stood on the corner flag. My antenna told me something was up, and I quickly recognised that they were practising set pieces. Harry had talked about a lack of ‘winners’ in the air (it’s alright Harry, I knew you were talking about yours truly. 35 career goals don’t lie) but that all changed. Since the Stoke game we have scored from two corners, and got on the end of several more. The signs were there at Stamford Bridge when Bale hit the crossbar.

Speaking of the Bridge, we saw Spurs employ a 4-3-3 system with Bale on the left and Van der Vaart on the right. The Dutchman isn’t the most mobile, but that didn’t stop me having a career that reached the highest highs and I doubt that will stop the ex-Real Madrid man either. He’s only 29, he’s got decades ahead of him.

Obviously Rafa isn’t a natural winger and not the greatest defensively, but Harry foresaw this problem, placing Sandro in a position on the right of the central three midfielders, with instructions to cover Rafa if the Dutchman went inside or forward, and to help Walker out defensively. This extra shield appeared to inspire Van der Vaart further, and his defensive contribution was much higher than normal. This laid the ground work for the Swansea game.

Against Bolton in midweek I noticed we set up in an almost identical way, the major change being Livermore in for Sandro, performing the same role. Van der Vaart looked a lot fitter, and the team created numerous chances – they just needed someone with a reputation for scoring goals to put the ball away. Unfortunately due to the terms of my loan I was not available, and anyway if Harry had called I would not have been able to answer as I had mistaken my mobile for an expired arctic roll and tried to eat it.

Swansea was the big game, and a big test. Harry has a habit of sticking to a winning formula once he has found it, and his laissez-faire style can sometimes see us under appreciate the obstacles and the qualities the opposition will bring. Swansea have a reputation for passing the ball a lot and there was a danger that while our new system had proved successful it would be undermined by not having the ball. If you don’t have the ball you can’t score, especially without the Ginger Pele in your team (although I make no guarantee which end it will go in) and I was interested to see how Harry would tailor our team to deal with the Taylors (see what I did there, damn I could have been the new Oscar Wilde. He was Irish too) Brittains, Sigurdson....Siggurdsson.....Sigsuriiidon...Sig....Allens and the rest of their ball players.

The answer was simple. He set Modric, Sandro and Parker to man mark their three counter parts in midfield, which often saw Modric as far forward as Adebayor, the full backs went tight on their wingers, and the team pressed as a group. They forced Swansea into errors and seized on them quickly. Harry had clearly done his homework, and it turned out to be A+.

There was yet another goal from a corner, although how someone as obvious as Adebayor can be unmarked six yards out is ludicrous. Would never have happened if I was in that defence. I would have thrown my head in there, broken my nose (yet again) and the blood gushing out of my nozzer would have put the striker. Experience, you see, something the Swansea boys lacked.

Then Harry tinkered, brought on Lennon, brought Rafa inside, and when the little man did finally get the ball he crossed for the third goal that finished the game off.

It was a good performance, full of energy, effort, and some good finishing. If we keep up the work, and Harry continues to identify and neutralise the opposition’s threats, as well as exploiting their weaknesses, we could end the season on a high. The players might even get a shiny medal. Won’t quite match my Norwich player of the season award in 2006, or my U18 European Championship winning medal in 1998 (seriously, look it up, I was a ledge even back then), but I’m sure the boys will be happy with them.

First up though is another tough game away to Sunderland, and another chance for Harry to show his tactical acumen. Sunderland’s dangerman, Stephane Sessengnon, likes to drift deep and wide, and it will be interesting to see whether Harry deploys a zonal or man marking system.

That about wraps up my first report, I’ve volunteered to wash the teams kit tonight, so see if you can spot me at the Lane next week and remember...you didn’t get any of this from me, right?”

No comments:

Post a Comment